Saffron, commonly known as kesar is one of the world's most expensive spice derived from an arabic word zafran. It is a therapeutic plant, which helps in digestion and increases an individual’s appetite. It is helpful to regulate a women's menstruation cycle.
In terms of nutrition, it is beneficial because it contains a high content of Thiamin and Riboflavin. Saffron is also believed to reduce the Melanin content in the epidermis on local application.
• It is used as an appetizer and for the improvement of digestion.
• It also provides relief from gas and acidity related problems.
• It cures insomnia (a pinch of saffron taken with warm milk in the night helps curing insomnia).
• One of the most common beneficial effects of saffron/ kesar known to most people is for skin problems. It is useful in enhancing and lightening the skin tone etc.
• Saffron is used for the treatment of kidney, bladder and liver disorders. It also helps in improving circulation to the organs of digestion.
• Saffron is found to be beneficial in treating various disorders like asthma, atherosclerosis, painful menstrual periods and even depression.
• One of the good effects of saffron is that if we massage the gums with saffron it help in reducing soreness and inflammation of the mouth.
• Saffron is an antioxidant and has anti-cancerous properties.
• It also acts as a blood purifier and increases the oxygen content of the blood thereby aiding in the overall health and well being of a person.
• Saffron is also preferred as it is found useful for treating cough.
• It helps in relieving inflammation of arthritis also with providing relief from joint pains.
• It is recommend to use of saffron during pregnancy as the herb possess the property of raising the body temperature.
• It is a good relief provider from low back pain and also have anti-tumor properties.
• Many Pregnant women are advised to take saffron in their milk as it improves the color of baby.
• Saffron maintains body temperature and thus prevents kids from getting cold.
• It is assumed that saffron is responsible to increase sexual desire. That’s why new couples are given a glass of milk with saffron on wedding night as a ritual.
• Applying milk mixed with saffron on skin refine the skin tone and enhances beauty.