Lauki is a common vegetable in India. It comes in green color with a bottle shape. It has white pulp with white seeds embedded in the flesh. The botanical name of Gourd is Lagenaria vulgaris. It is one of the earliest vegetable cultivated in India. It appears to be originated in Africa.
Food value of bottle gourd per 100 gms edible portion:
|Protein††† ††† †††||0.2%|
|Small amount of vitamin B Complex.||†|
Medicinal properties and Benefits of lauki juice:
• Lauki gives a feeling of relaxation after eating it. It can be beneficial for urinary disorders. A glass of fresh Lauki juice with few drops of lemon helps in the treatment of burning sensation of urine which is caused due to high acidic proportion in urine. It serves as an alkaline mixture when added with sulphur drugs.†
• When people suffer from excessive thirst due to severe diarrhea, diabetes and extreme use of fried foods, the juice of bottle gourd act as a valuable medicine.†
• A glass of bottle gourd juice with a pinch of salt during summer prevents loss of sodium, quenches thirst and helps in eliminating fatigue.†
• The mixture of bottle gourd juice and sesame oil acts as an effective medicine for the treatment of insomnia. Moreover, it should be massaged over scalp every night.†
• The fiber present in the lauki juice is very effective in treating digestive disorders like constipation, flatulence and piles.†
• Because of high potassium content, it is helpful to treat hypertension and act as a good heart tonic.†
• A glass of bottle juice everyday helps in treating the premature graying of hair. Also, it helps in curing hair fall problem and baldness.†
• It also creates flawless and radiant skin. Helps to prevent acne and other breakouts of skin.†
• The juice extracted from bottle gourd juice helps to treat jaundice.†
• A glass of bottle gourd juice is helpful in treating insanity, epilepsy, stomach acidity, ulcers and nervous disorders.†
• Lauki juice with pinch of black pepper powder and dry ginger powder helps in losing weight. It reduces hunger pangs as it is full of fiber and water. It is most effective if taken early in the morning in empty stomach or in the evening before taking dinner.
To get its maximum nutritional benefits, it should be cooked in such a way that it retains little bit of hardness by chopping into fairly large pieces. Each piece should be large enough to fill the tablespoon and should need to be chewed.
According to research, if lauki juice tastes bitter, do not drink as it may contain the chemical compound Tetracyclic Triterpenoid Cucurbitacin, which causes bitterness. This can be toxic and fatal, especially if it is consumed in large doses.