Turmeric (curcuma longa) is used as a traditional medicine in India and China. Turmeric contains a key ingredient called cur cumin which has got antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The active ingredient cur cumin is yellow in color, having mustardy smell, slightly bitter with hot peppery flavor. It is considered as a natural wonder for proving beneficial treatment to different health conditions ranging from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease.
• Studies have shown that cur cumin present in the turmeric helps in elimination of cancerous cells. According to recent research, cur cumin can kill oseophagal cancer cells within 24 hrs.
• When paired with vitamin D, curcumin works best for people suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. It prompts the immune system to clear the amyloidal beta from brain (a substance that creates brain plaques associated with Alzheimer’s disease).
• Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent which is useful in treating cut, wounds, burns and other skin infections including boils.
• Turmeric powder and salt when taken in equal ratio gives instant relief to acidity.
• Curd with turmeric, if taken after lunch cures digestive problems.
• Turmeric is a wonderful natural body scrub, which is why Indian brides apply turmeric with ground flour (besan) to their entire body to make the skin smooth, soft and supple.
• Due to the anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties turmeric is considered as an effective natural remedy to treat arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
• Recent studies have shown that antioxidant properties of turmeric reduce the insulin resistance which prevents the onset of type 2 diabetes.
• Cur cumin in turmeric powder has been found to increase the flow of bile, which is an important component in the breakdown of dietary fat. Therefore, taking one teaspoon of turmeric powder with every meal may prove an effective way to lose weight coupled with healthy diet plan and exercise programme.
• Turmeric strengthens the bones and reduces the risk of osteoarthritis. You should drink a glass of milk mixed with turmeric every night to avail this benefit.
• A long list of skin care is associated with turmeric for the treatment of acne blemishes, blackheads, dark spots, hyper-pigmentation and other skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema.
• Turmeric removes unwanted hair also. Mix turmeric powder with warm castor oil and apply this paste to areas where unwanted hairs are available. Experience the benefits of this treatment.
• Use turmeric powder to lower blood pressure and LDL cholesterol level. It is also effective in preventing the oxidation of cholesterol, thus reducing the chances of cardiovascular disorders.
• The plants of turmeric are useful for hair growth stimulators, treatment of dandruff as well as for hair colorants and dye.
Moderate use of turmeric powder as a part of regular diet is fairly safe. However, prolonged consumption of high doses of turmeric can create health hazards like stomach, liver distress, dehydration as well as constipation. It should be avoided by people suffering from gallstones or bile obstructions.