Lotus seeds also known as makhana in India. These seeds are highly useful in terms of nutritional benefits. They are the edible seeds of lotus flower which can be roasted or fried. These are used in many dishes of India. They are also considered as very pious food and used in many rituals. Along with this they are also highly beneficial in terms of nutritional values. These seeds are low in saturated fats, sodium and cholesterol and are high in magnesium potassium and phosphorus.
• Lotus seeds contain flavonoids which are antioxidants and reverse the adverse effects of free radicals in the body. They also prevent the inflammations in the body. These free radicals are the main cause of many degenerative diseases like diabetes mellitus, heart problems and even cancers.
• As lotus seeds are powerful antioxidants they also known as anti aging foods. Aging is also a result of adverse effects of free radicals in the body.
• They are high in fiber so helps to avoid constipation. They help the body to remove the waste and thus prevent the accumulation of toxins.
• Lotus seeds regulate the blood pressure as they are low in sodium and high in potassium. So a very beneficial food for the hypertensive people.
• It can be digested by all age groups. You can also give them to children by little bit roasting and adding salt to it. This will be a healthy snack for them rather than chips and French fries.
• They are low in calories, fat and high in fiber so can be a good food for diabetics. They also helps to lower the blood sugar levels, so a healthy snack for diabetics.
• They are also recommended for women in pregnancy and post natal weakness. They maintain healthy pregnancy and tonify the kidney and spleen to build up body’s energy.
• These seeds are used traditionally to treat insomnia and restlessness as they are thought to have sedative and calming properties.
• Due to its astringent properties it helps to combat diarrhea and also helps to improve appetite.
• These seeds are also used in the treatment of arthritis and rheumatic pains.
• As they are high in fiber and low in calories so a great food for weight loss too. One can also munch on them as this will not add free calories.
• Lotus seeds are also very useful in anaemia. It’s been used in traditional medicine from long time to cure many ailments.
• It also acts as an aphrodisiac. Lotus seeds increases the quality and quantity of semen, prevents premature ejaculation, increases libido and helps in female infertility.
• According to ayurveda it decreases the vata and pitta doshas which are the air and fire imbalances. These imbalances can further lead to many health problems.
So from the above health benefits you can see that these seeds are not only nutritionally rich but also help to heal many health problems. So start using these healthy seeds in your daily diet and get the long term health benefits.