Chilies are the life and soul of hearty Indian meal. Hot green chilies can enhance the flavor of any food. In India we use these green chilies in almost every preparation. Everyone knows about the heat generating and little bit bitter taste of green chilies but very few know about the health benefits of these green chilies. They are low in fats and cholesterol and rich in vitamin A and vitamin C. The substance which gives peppers their intensity is capsaicin.
Psychologist “Paul Rozin” suggests that eating chilies is an example of a constrained risk like riding a roller coaster in which extreme sensations like pain and fear can be enjoyed because individuals know that these sensations are not actually harmful. This method lets people experience extreme feelings without any risk of bodily harm.
So let’s discuss about some of the health benefits of green chilies:
• Green chilies contain vitamin A which is a fat soluble vitamin and an important antioxidant. Antioxidants help to minimize the health hazards caused by free radicals. Vitamin A is essential for good vision, skin and mucous membranes. It is also required for the maintenance of bones and teeth. Vitamin A is also beneficial in avoiding Lung cancer.
• Green chilies are also rich in vitamin C which is another strong antioxidant and is required for the formation of collagen, scar tissue, ligaments and blood vessels. It also helps to repair wounds and to maintain bones, teeth and cartilage. It helps to delay early aging of skin. It is also very much important for the prevention of common cold and cough.
• Green chilies are a good source of dietary fiber which helps to remove toxins from the body and prevents constipation.
• Green chilies contain a chemical called Capsaicin which improves the digestive system and also dissolves the blood clots. Capsaicin is also used as a drug for preventing wrinkles and other skin problems.
• Capsaicin present in green chilies also helps in weight loss as it helps to burn calories. Green chilies increase the metabolism of the body.
• Green chilies are also known as mood stabilizers. Capsaicin present in green chilies helps to release endorphins into the brain which is a feel good hormone and thus helps to improve the mood.
• Green chilies act as a decongestant so helps in lung and sinus problems.
• Some studies suggest that chilies help to reduce the blood sugar levels so good for diabetics.
• Green chilies also inhibit stomach cancers.
• Capsaicin also has antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties which help to relieve the conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, neuropathy caused by the diabetes and psoriasis.
From the above health benefits it’s clear that green chilies are good for health. But if you are suffering from stomach ulcers or burning sensation in heart then you should not consume them as they can be chemical irritant and can lead to discomfort. Plus food preparations made for small children should not contain chilies.