The health benefits of these juicy and delicious fruits are many. Oranges are available from winter through summer. They can be sweet, bitter and sour depending on their variety. Oranges are a good source of Vitamin C and flavonoids. They are also rich in Vitamin A, B complex vitamins, amino acids, beta carotene, pectin, potassium, folic acid, calcium, iodine, phosphorus, sodium, zinc, manganese, chlorine and iron.
Health Benefits of Oranges Are:
• Oranges are a very good source of Vitamin C which is an antioxidant. This helps to fight against the free radicals in the body so helps to avoid many diseases. Vitamin C is also required for the healthy tissues and immune system and it is also required for the absorption of iron and for preventing recurrent cold and cough.
• Oranges contain good amount of fiber which helps to maintain the blood sugar levels and it contains natural fruit sugar fructose which helps to maintain blood sugar level after eating it. Fiber also helps to reduce high cholesterol levels thus preventing the condition called as atherosclerosis. Fiber also helps to prevent constipation.
• Oranges also contains folate which is required for the healthy cell production in the body and lowering the levels of homocysteine which is beneficial for avoiding the heart diseases Plus it contains potassium which also help to lower down the high BP so we can say that oranges are good for heart health.
• Researches show that orange helps to lower the risk of gastric ulcers.
• As oranges are rich in antioxidants so helps to minimize the signs of aging.
• Oranges have a phytochemical known as zeaxanthin which helps to avoid inflammations and useful to prevent rheumatoid arthritis.
Nutritional Value of 100 gm of Orange As Per Nutritive Value of Indian Foods:
|Crude Fiber (g)||0.3|
|Vitamin C (mg)||30|
• Oranges contain good amount of Vitamin A which is helpful for a good immune system, avoids many cancers, good for eyes, skin and hair.
• Orange is low in calorie, fats and contains no cholesterol and rich in dietary fiber Pectin. Pectin acts as a bulk to the stools, helps to protect the colon and bind the cancer causing chemicals in the colon.
• Because of low fat content oranges are great foods for weight loss. They can also be given to the diabetics as they maintain the blood sugar levels in the body.
So from the above health benefits we can see that an orange is not only rich source of Vitamin C but also gives some other important health benefits which are required for the daily bodily functions. It can be taken in any form like in juice or fruit; it can be used in salads also. So we should include them in our diet to obtain the maximum health.