Banana is the fruit mainly considered for instant energy. It is creamy and sweet thus a favorite fruit of all ages. But apart from giving energy it is a very nutritious and wholesome fruit. Banana contains potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorous, carotene, thiamine and fiber. Some of the health benefits it gives are:
• Banana is rich in Prebiotics which helps to promote the friendly bacteria which in turn help in the better absorption of various nutrients.
• Banana contains high level of potassium which helps to lower the Blood pressure and lessen the chances of heart diseases like heart attack, atherosclerosis, and stroke. Potassium is also required for proper muscle contraction and relaxation like in pumping of heart, digestion and muscular movements.
BANANA, RIPE (100 gm as per Nutritive value of Indian foods)
|Crude Fiber (g):||0.4|
|Total B6 (mg):||0|
|Folic Acid (free) (mcg):||0|
|Folic Acid (Total) (mcg):||0|
|Vitamin C (mg):||7|
• High potassium content in bananas also helps to protect the bone health.
• Bananas also help to relieve acidity thus have antacid effect. They help to sooth the symptoms like heartburn and irritation.
• Banana has high levels of B complex vitamins which are good for improving nervous system.
• As bananas are high in potassium it helps to normalize the heart beat and also regulates body’s water balance. When we are in stress our body’s potassium levels tend to be rapidly depleted. So eating banana can help to balance it .So we can say eating banana in stress can be helpful.
• Banana is the good source of soluble fiber pectin so it helps to relieve constipation.
• It contains carotenoids which are antioxidants and protect the body from free radicals. So helpful in the management of many chronic diseases.
• They also give a soothing effect. Banana contains tryptophan which gets converted to serotonin, a hormone that improves mood.
• This is the ideal fruit you can take after your workout as it gives instant energy.
• Banana is very good for children recovering from diarrhoea. It binds the stools.
• Banana is also very helpful for underweight as this helps to gain weight. It gives best results when taken with milk as milk provides essential proteins and banana gives sugars.
• Banana contains iron so great food for anemic people.
• Banana Shake can be very effective for hangover. You can add some honey as banana helps to calm the stomach, honey builds up the depleted blood sugar levels and milk soothes and rehydrates the system.
• Banana can also be used in peptic ulcer. It neutralizes excess acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
With so many health benefits we can surely say that banana is not only an energy fruit but a storehouse of many essential nutrients.