One of the healthiest foods especially for diabetic patients is arrowroot. It is a large perennial herb which is found in rainforest habitats. It contains about 23% starch and can be consumed in the form of sauces, jellies, biscuits, cakes, fruit pie fillings and puddings. Arrow root has high nutritious content and provide many health benefits. Some of these are:
• Arrow root has demulcent properties which is used for treating bowel problems and is helpful in digestion.
• It is also used as an alternative to breast milk. One of the products prepared from arrowroot is jelly which can be used as an infant cereal. This food item is easily digestible as compared to other starches.
• It was also found that the consumption of freshly prepared arrowroot juice is an effective antidote against vegetable poisons.
• Arrow root is beneficial for people who are suffering from certain chronic diseases like bladder irritation or illnesses.
• Diseases like gangrene can also be treated by taking arrow root in their diet.
• It is also helpful in treating poisoned wounds like spider bites, snake bites and scorpion stings.
• One of the beneficial uses of arrow root is, it can be used as a foot powder and can remove the excess moisture, since it is not antifungal in nature and thus can only be used to control moisture.
• One of the good points of consuming arrow root is that it is used in the treatment of smallpox.
Arrowroot is a good substitute that stops nausea. Other than this, it also has the ability to replenish nutrients lost by vomiting and diarrhea. Other than providing health benefits, arrowroot has a large number of culinary uses like –
• It is used as a thickening agent in sauces, jellies, cakes, biscuits, puddings and fruit pie fillings.
• Arrowroot is also used to makes clear, shimmering fruit gels and prevents ice crystals from forming in homemade ice cream.
• It is also used as a thickener for acidic foods, such as Asian sweet and sour sauce.