Antacids are the medicines which are used to maintain the ph of the stomach. Ph system is the scale for measuring the acidity or alkalinity of a given environment. This scale goes from 0 to 14. A ph of 7 is neutral, below 7 it is acidic and above 7 it is alkaline. Normally the acid level in the stomach is 2 or 3 but when it goes below these numbers then there can be problems. So the antacids are used in the conditions of acidity, heartburn and indigestion, gastritis and GERD. The antacids can quickly relieve the symptoms associated with these problems. Indigestion is the word used for the conditions like sour stomach, acid indigestion, stomach upset and acidity in the stomach.
Gastritis is the condition where the lining of the stomach becomes inflamed by too much acid secretion. Heart burn is the condition when the stomach juices go into reverse and come back up the esophagus.
Frequent and prolonged use of antacids can cause harm to the heart, kidneys and bones. Antacids work by neutralizing the acid in your stomach. Antacids can also increase lower esophageal sphincter pressure causing less reflux. There can be the possible side effects of too much consumption of the antacids. All the antacids contain primarily sodium, calcium, magnesium and aluminum as an ingredient. Like calcium carbonate if taken in high dosage then can cause hyperacidity. Sodium bicarbonate can cause imbalances in the electrolytes or in the blood salts which can change the chemical composition of the blood. Magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide can cause diarrhea as it affects the bowel function.
Aluminum hydroxide can be the causative factor for the constipation. Because of its excess use it can also cause lack of energy. Antacids can also reduce the absorption of different medications. So it’s better to avoid the drugs like antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, arthritis drugs, asthma drugs, blood pressure drugs, blood thinners, diabetes drugs, drugs for the gout and drug for the Parkinson’s, ulcers and tuberculosis.
So avoid too much of antacids. You can also use these natural tips to avoid the problem of indigestion.
• Avoid too much of spicy foods as they can aggravate the problem of acidity. Avoid chips, fried foods, junk foods, pickles, vinegar and chat.
• Avoid the vegetables that have a very strong flavor like capsicum, onion, cabbage and reddish.
• Avoid too much of salads as fiber present in salads is indigestible and can also cause flatulence and indigestion. Always use salad dressings with the salads.
• Avoid the alcohol and smoking as they can also stimulate the acid production.
• Avoid stress as this can also be a hidden reason for the hyperacidity.
• Don’t consume heavy meals before going to bed. These can be difficult to digest and can cause problem of indigestion.
• Lose some weight if you are overweight. Excess weight can also be the reason behind the problem of acidity.
• Avoid too much of coffee and tea. The caffeine present in them can also stimulate the secretion of stomach acids and which can further lead to hyperacidity.