A valuable spice, Ajwain, its english name is caraway, its seeds is a valuable Indian herb which is also known as bishops weed and is found cultivated in black soil. It is available all over India and also in other countries like Iran, Egypt, and Afghanistan.
Ajwain is used in the culinary process as a spice. It is also used as a major ingredient in different types of medicines. It also uses as a good appetizer and is used as effective remedy in managing ailments like vomiting, piles, mouth diseases, abdominal tumor, abdominal pain and in the treatment of Ascites etc, hence it has various health benefits.
Ajwain seeds are considered healthy because it contains various nutrients like protein, fat, fiber, carbohydrates, minerals, moisture, calcium, phosphorus, iron, carotene, thiamin, riboflavin and niacin.
What are the Health Benefits of Ajwain?
• Ajwain is very useful in alleviating spasmodic pains of the stomach and intestines, in adults as well as in children.
• Any pain due to flatulence (gas), indigestion and infections in the intestines can easily be relieved by taking one teaspoon full of Ajwain along with two-three pinches of common salt in warm water.
• Ajwain is considered to be good for digestion, because it can be taken with buttermilk to alleviate digestion related problems.
• Puting Ajwain powder in a thin cloth is beneficial in treating common cold or migraine headache. Smelling Ajwain frequently, will ease the congestion and provide you with relief.
• Taking one teaspoon of Ajwain with hot water stimulates heart and provides relief during a mild heart attack.
• If you are suffering from chronic bronchitis and asthma, then take the mixture of Ajwain and jaggery. Now, heat it to make a paste. Eat 2 teaspoonfuls of Ajwain twice a day. However, diabetic patients should avoid this preparation due to a high sugar content.
• Ajwain uses to bring out the mucus easily and alleviates chronic bronchitis and asthma to great extent. It also helps in overcoming a chronic cold.
• By taking Ajwain twice a day, one can reduce the craving and desire for alcohol. It is also beneficial for those people who consume excessive alcohol and develop discomfort in the stomach.
• Ajwain oil is helpful in providing relief from ear ache with just one or two drops in the ear.
• The smoke of burning Ajwain seeds is effective in treating toothache. Gargling with lukewarm water prepared by boiling of Ajwain and little salt two to three times a day, will cures tooth pain.
• Ajwain oil can also be used to massage legs and knees. It will provide relief from arthritis and is also beneficial in the treatment of rheumatic and neuralgic pains.
• It is helpful in improving liver function and improves jaundice condition. It is also considered beneficial in remove kidney stones.
• According to ancient folklore, Ajwain seeds should be soaked in lemon juice and dried seven times before being eaten in order to cure impotence and erectile dysfunctions.
• Ajwain seeds also uses to regulate menstrual periods.
Ajwain seeds should be consumed quickly because they tend to lose their flavor due to the evaporation of essential oils. On the whole the medicinal properties of Ajwain make it a popular ingredient in the Indian cuisine.