Abdominal adhesions are the fibrous tissues which form between abdomen and internal organs. This scar tissue is commonly seen after the abdominal surgery. Some adhesions may cause no major health problems and can be unnoticed while others can cause serious health complications like infertility and intestinal obstruction. Symptoms of abdominal adhesions can be severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, infrequent bowels, dry skin, dry mouth, dry tongue, fast heart rate and blood pressure. Diet plays a great role in the management of abdominal adhesions. Following are some of the diet tips which can be helpful for the patients suffering from this problem:
• A low residue diet is advised in this condition; in this diet indigestible carbohydrate that is fiber intake should be low. But this kind of diet should not be followed for the long time as this is not healthy.
• Intake of refined cereals, milk, yogurt and ice cream are good in this condition.
• Intake of fruits and raw vegetables should be avoided as they high source of fiber and can cause problems. Fruits can be taken in the form of juices with no pulp and seeds.
• Avoid whole grain cereals as they are high in fiber.
• Fish, poultry and chicken should be well cooked so that can be digested easily.
• Avoid tea and coffee, the caffeine present in these drinks is stomach irritant and can aggravate the condition. Instead of normal tea take green tea which will improve the digestion and overall health.
• Avoid raw salads and instead of it take semi cooked salads. You can also use dressings of the olive oil to make the digestion easy.
• Avoid too much of spicy food as this may cause irritation in the lining of the stomach.
• Avoid too much of fatty foods and junk foods because they are heavy to digest and can aggravate the problem.
• Take small and frequent meals as they will not make a load on the stomach and can give a relieve from the problem of abdominal adhesions. One can take meal between the intervals of 2-3 hours. Take three major meals and two small meals in a day to avoid the problem.
• Chew the food well, this will help in the digestion of the food and can avoid the problems associated with the abdominal adhesions.
• Use low fat milk that is skimmed or tonned milk instead of full cream milk.
• Avoid the foods which can cause bloating or flatulence.
• Take 8-10 glasses of water every day. This will help in the digestion of the food and will also remove the toxins from the body.
A low residue or fiber diet is prescribed to the people suffering from this problem but this kind of diet should not be followed for long time as this will be lacking in essential vitamins and minerals. To know more about the diet for the abdominal adhesions you can consult dietitian or Nutritionist from your area.